[Pharo-project] Counting Messages as a Proxy for Average Execution Time in Pharo

Toon Verwaest toon.verwaest at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 15:58:46 CEST 2011

I have a hunch that Stefan is referring to the PhD thesis of Charlotte
Herzeel without giving names. As far as I understood from my discussions
with her (and her talks), it generally doesn't really pay off to
automatically parallelize on branches. You get minimal speedups (1% at
best).

I tend to agree with Stefan / Michael / Guy Steele... Maybe you don't
need much, but the mapreduce style is the minimum requirement to give
the language enough "wiggle room" to automatically parallelize stuff.
But it DOES require you to restructure your application in a slightly
more declarative fashion.

cheers,
Toon