[Pharo-project] HelpBrowser takes too much time to open

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 15:32:09 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:14 AM, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de> wrote:

> This is because the help book "Pharo" includes an API
> reference for the WHOLE system (starting from ProtoObject
> all subclasses down) and converts all class comments
> in the system into help text. Accessing sources is slow...

Thanks Torsten for the explanation.

> Just run
>
>  MessageTally spyOn: [SystemReference asHelpTopic]
>
> If nobody uses this full API reference then we can eliminate
> the class "PharoAPIHelp" and it should be much faster
> (from 3705 down to 1006 in my image).

No, I like that, it would be cool to keep it.
What I am wondering (I have no idea how HelpBrowser is implemented) is if
you cannot do a lazy loading for PharoHelp instead of the whole image.
For example, when you start you have ProtoObject, then 6 subclasess, and
then.... so...what about loading the subclasses only when requested ?  in
this case, why expanding with the arrow.

> Other books like the ones on announcements and on regular
> expression also contain an API reference ... but only
> with classes for these packages.

Ok, I understand.

--
Mariano