[Pharo-project] System time

Jimmie Houchin jlhouchin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 22:15:41 CEST 2011

On 4/30/2011 11:50 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> I am developing a time sensitive application. I poll a server every minute for new data. The data is time sensitive and the sooner I can get the data to the release of the data the better.
>>
>> I have noticed that Pharo's system time drifts away from the OS system time. I would really like the Pharo system time to be the correct time.
> do you have a repeatable scenario?
> VM
> Image information.
Pharo 1.3 and the latest Cog.

>> I have not been able to find where in Pharo I can call to update the System clock to the correct time.
> you can use OSProcess (only mac and linux)
No, that's not the problem. The OS clock is right. It's Pharo that has
drifted away from correct time. Regardless it would be nice if I have to
correct the OS clock, it would still be nice to resync Pharo with the
OS, keep both in sync and correct. What I am wanting is simply to resync
the Pharo clock with the OS clock.

It seems that when the Pharo image is started that it gets the OS System
time, but keeps its own time after that. Now I do not know the
consequences of Pharo adjusting its time backward. If this isn't
possible, then I might have to do some workarounds to insure that I get
my data in a timely manner.

The image I have been developing in is currently about 30 seconds ahead
of the OS clock. It is on my laptop. It might be due to the laptops
sleep and hibernation. I have not tested this on my server.

That is the situation as best I know it.

Thanks.

Jimmie