[Pharo-project] Tracing bugs/corrections/regressions ... in Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Tue Feb 1 07:04:11 CET 2011

Nicolas

We wanted to see the diff like in squeak (check the mails in september) but the squeaksource server would die under the
diff size to generate (sic lukas). So? Do you think that we are explicitly against squeak. If we ever reached this state of mind, this is
years that we passed it.

> Maybe it's because the process only have appearances of quality, but
> doesn't really pay off.

Why do you say that? We log all our bugs and actions. So you can take all the fixes for squeak if you want. This is not my goal in life.
Now we are more busy than average and sometimes opening a bug entry when you already pushed the code in the server
is subject to missing some parts. But this is life.

Now let me repeat myself again: Pharo is important because I want people to find/build jobs in Smalltalk and not in Ruby or Javascript.
Simple/straight/may be it will not succeed but this is my goal.

Else I would do Javascript or Lua. In fact I thought a lot of Lua, python or ruby for a while - before doing pharo because of the state
of our 'nice' community and its lack of vision. I'm sure that other communities are pleasant too and may be I'm stuck in Smalltalk.