[Pharo-project] Tracing bugs/corrections/regressions ... in Pharo

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 08:57:29 CET 2011

2011/2/1 Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr>:
> Nicolas
>
> We wanted to see the diff like in squeak (check the mails in september) but the squeaksource server would die under the
> diff size to generate (sic lukas). So? Do you think that we are explicitly against squeak. If we ever reached this state of mind, this is
> years that we passed it.
>
>> Maybe it's because the process only have appearances of quality, but
>> doesn't really pay off.
>
> Why do you say that? We log all our bugs and actions. So you can take all the fixes for squeak if you want. This is not my goal in life.
> Now we are more busy than average and sometimes opening a bug entry when you already pushed the code in the server
> is subject to missing some parts. But this is life.

Sure, I don't want to discuss the goals.
I just wonder if the burden of maintaining these logs is usefull for Pharo.
What makes me wonder is that I consider it is not usefull for
backporting some changes to Squeak.

I understand that logging diffs of the entire squeaksource repository
is a no go, but there must be another way.
You have automated tests which is a real progress, so I don't see why
simple diffs would be so high a technical problem.

Nicolas