[Pharo-project] Tracing bugs/corrections/regressions ... in Pharo

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 18:58:00 CET 2011

On 1 February 2011 15:44, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> On 1 February 2011 01:47, Nicolas Cellier
>> <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The fact is that, while many patches find their way from Squeak to
>>> Pharo, very few take the other way.
>>>

>> Frankly, i had the opposite impression.
>> For instance, Sets with nil already have more than year in Squeak,
>> but still didn't found their way into Pharo.
>
> This not related to what Nicolas wrote. He wrote that a lot more patches go
> from Squeak to Pharo, than from Pharo to Squeak. The latter is close to
> zero, while the first is between 300 and 800 (based on the Pharo issue
> tracker. 400-900 including the non-closed issues). So I wonder why did you
> have the opposite impression.

I doubt that Squeak wants to integrate Etoys cleanup :).
Squeak community are much more conservative towards major
refactorings/changing APIs etc etc.
And given that most major changes in Pharo are for either throwing out
some old stuff or do complete rewrite,
this gives an answer why you don't see changes flowing widely from
Pharo to Squeak.
As for minor level changes, or kernel/compiler changes - we are in
sync .. because both camps paying attention in
keeping core in healthy state. But you should know it yourself,
because you are taking part in that. :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.