[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Accessing external resources in a cross-platform way

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 10:04:01 CET 2011

On 3 February 2011 09:18, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
> Hernan
>
> I'm documenting and reorganizing and writing more tests for FS.
> I contacted colin several times but got no feedback. The version that we will integrate in Pharo is
> available at:
>        PharoTaskForces
>        if you want to integrate/publish your code there, then you are welcomed.
> We will do several rounds, probably integrate dale gemstone fixes, deprecate and change some api
> like workingDirectory returning a path and calling it workingDirectoryPath
> and push FS in Pharo. Of course, people may probably complain but we will do it.

How about using open repo.. not pharo-specific?

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/fs'
    user: ''
    password: ''

I see that FS is quite easy to port over forks/dialects.
So, with some effort we can make it easily available across many
smalltalk platforms.
It will benefit not only Pharo (yes, Pharo could be a testbed for new
filesystem),
but then if people will want to port it on another platform, they will
have to just get in and start hacking there,
without using controversial repository (PharoTaskForces) , because it
means that this stuff is only for Pharo.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.