[Pharo-project] Our response to JS proxy API + Cog regression

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Thu Feb 3 18:28:00 CET 2011

On Feb 2, 2011, at 10:21 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> I read the paper, which i found once on Stephane's table:
> Proxies: Design Principles for Robust Object-oriented Intercession APIs [1]
>
> and we discussed it.. and while there is not much interesting stuff
> for smalltalkers,
> still a couple of things were said about smalltalk that was not quite true :)

Our other answer (published already last year...) is of course this paper:

   http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/publications/bib?&query=Arna10a&display=abstract&_n&15

Jean-Baptiste Arnaud, Marcus Denker, Stéphane Ducasse, Damien Pollet, Alexandre Bergel, and Mathieu Suen. Read-Only Execution for Dynamic Languages.

Abstract
Supporting read-only and side effect free execution has been the focus of a large body of work in the area of statically typed programming languages. Read-onlyness in dynamically typed languages is difficult to achieve because of the absence of a type checking phase and the support of an open-world assumption in which code can be constantly added and modified. To address this issue, we propose Dynamic Read-Only references (DRO) that provide a view on an object where this object and its object graph are protected from modification. The read- only view dynamically propagates to aggregated objects, without changing the object graph itself; it acts as a read-only view of complex data structures, without making them read-only globally. We implement dynamic read-only references by using smart object proxies that lazily propagate the read-only view, following the object graph and driven by control flow and applied them to realize side-effect free assertions.

	Marcus

INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.