[Pharo-project] Which ConfigurationOfPharo should use in Pharo 1.2 ?

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Fri Feb 4 15:29:49 CET 2011

ConfigurationOfPharo should have a #stable symbolic version defined that specifies the version that should be used in 1.2, 1.1, and 1.0 ... then one just loads the #stable version:

  (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: #stable) load

and you'll get the right version loaded for the platform version ... even though the version is under development I think it is valid to specify a #stable symbolic version for Pharo1.2, just so folks don't have to ask this question over and over again ... Don't let the name 'stable' scare you ...

The intent is that the #stable symbolic version specifies the version that should be loaded .... the developer decides which versions are #stable for each platform version and when a new version becomes "the version to use" the developer updates the specification.

The users of a configuration shouldn't have to think ... remember in the past the recommended pattern was:

  ConfigurationOfPharo project latestVersion load

and that worked fine until Pharo1.1 and Pharo1.2 were introduced. The expression:

  (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: #stable) load

is intended to replace the use of #latestVersion because it makes it possible to explicitly specify the "latest version" on a platform by platform and platform version basis...

Sorry if I appear to be ranting ... I'm just trying to get the message out:)

Dale