[Pharo-project] Network training

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sat Feb 5 00:53:10 CET 2011

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 5 February 2011 00:12, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, but hopefully we will be SocketPlugin free.
>>
>> Is SocketPlugin buggy?
>> If yes, where's the bug report?
>> If not, what's the problem with it?
>>
> Just one: it is highly resistant to evolution and changes. As well as
> everything else in VM.

Does the Socket API change often? No. I'm sure all my 10 years old network
code (written in C) would compile and run on the first try.

>>> At the end, "There can be only one" (FFI or Alien or NB or a better one)
>>> ;-)
>>> IMHO, plugins are a pain to understand, maintain, integrate in the latest
>>> VM...
>>> so let's kill them as much as possible.
>>
>> Maintaining SocketPlugin (or reimplementing for a new plaform) is a lot
>> easier than doing the same with FFI or Alien.
>
> I wouldn't say so.

Why?

Couldn't you reimplement SocketPlugin from scratch without looking at the
current implementation in at most a few days? I could, so I'm sure you
could do that too. The same is not true for FFI or Alien (at least not
for me).

>> Eliot's threaded FFI plugin is
>> very complex compared to (the pretty simple) SocketPlugin.
>>

> It could be simple too. But just not fast enough :)
> There's always a lot of tradeoffs to consider.

It could be, but it's not.

Levente