[Pharo-project] thinking about a community model of funding

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Sat Feb 5 23:54:26 CET 2011

>I would like to see a model like that around the pharo virtual machine >emerging
>	http://phk.freebsd.dk/VML/

Do you know this new funding platform:

          http://www.kickstarter.com

There is also an interesting story with that: some guys
announced there they wanted to write a "Facebook" replacement
called "diaspora" that is open and better in privacy things:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196017994/diaspora-the-personally-controlled-do-it-all-distr

Interesting enough they got LOTs of money @kickstarter and then they
started coding - in Ruby on Rails. Looks like they got stuck
due to development problems after they released the source code:

http://mashable.com/2010/09/16/diaspora-source/

Maybe they should have used Seaside ...

Should we spend some spare time to write a Facebook II using
Pharo and Seaside 3.0? Then we would have a killer app and
more people interested ;)

Bye
T.