[Pharo-project] thinking about a community model of funding

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Feb 6 03:22:23 CET 2011

In all of that is a comment that there are already multiple social networking systems available.  It brings up a few questions, including whether another one is really needed?  It sounds like a few college kids managed to raise some real money to fund something (aka "buy the beer") that one or two of their peers might do for a senior design project.

Let's say I read it wrong and there is a big void waiting to be filled.  It would be interesting to see how Seaside would stack up against the alternatives.  Interestingly, I was reading on that topic earlier today.

In my more cynical moments, I think the way for Smalltalkers to succeed is to use it to do things under the radar, leaving the competition wondering what hit them.  I would not recommend spending time to write a framework or even a turn-key system in the hopes that others will use it.  If there is a niche that remains to be filled and you want to be the service provider and Seaside is up to the load that you would hope would result from getting it right, then go for it.

Bill