[Pharo-project] Status of Alien

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tue Feb 8 13:16:35 CET 2011

Torsten,

I have been under the impression that it has never worked on Linux - it would be great to be wrong on that.  Does anyone have Alien on Linux waiting for someone to try it?

One thing slowing my search for FFI/Alien improvements has been that I was initially dependent on some vm modifications that I made.  Some off-line correspondence with Dave Lewis and the benefit of some time might have yielded a solution that will let me return to stock vms.

FFI has generally worked for me.  I am doing a horrible job of handling double arrays, but I am at least able to use them.  My "solution" makes assumptions about byte order and I have declare double* as void*.

There was mention of extending FFI with callbacks.  Given that capability, the only thing missing would then to be make calls on OS threads to avoid blocking the image (but blocking the calling Smalltalk Process for the duration of the call).

Bill