[Pharo-project] Issue 3401 in pharo: Comparison of Urls is not possible yet

pharo at googlecode.com pharo at googlecode.com
Thu Feb 10 11:51:16 CET 2011

Comment #2 on issue 3401 by sven.van... at gmail.com: Comparison of Urls is
not possible yet

The URL/URI classes/hierarchy is problematic, so there is no easy solution.
I know that Cedrick is just trying to help here.

But converting an object to its string representation to compare it feels
wrong (inefficient, incorrect, lazy, inelegant).

The point of having an object representing something using semanticaly
meaningful parts is to do useful things with it, like comparing two
instances.

In ZnUrl (a class only dealing with HTTP URLs) I did implement #=, but not
to my full satisfaction. This is a hard problem, consider some of the
following:

http://www.pharo.st = pharo.st
http://www.pharo.st:80 = http://www.pharo.st
http://www.pharo.st/ = http://www.pharo.st

And this is only in the context of HTTP.

Sven