[Pharo-project] A tinyBenchmark

Felipe Bañados Schwerter fbanados at dcc.uchile.cl
Thu Feb 10 17:45:29 CET 2011

Hi Everybody! This is my first post on the list, even though i've been
subscribed for more than 6 months.

2011/2/10 Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu>

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>
>  see http://fbanados.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/a-tinybenchmark
>>
>> Maybe Eliot is able to say something here on the main
>> differences between Cog <-> VW VM.
>>

> You made several mistakes:
> - You didn't post the source code for #tinyBenchmarks. Do all those
> Smalltalks implement it? Are the implementations equal?

No, they don't implement it. Just Pharo and Squeak. I just added the same
implementation to Integer in VA, VisualWorks and GNU Smalltalk (
Integer>>tinyBenchmarks, Integer>>benchmark and Integer>>benchFib), so the
source code is the same.

- You didn't specify the version numbers for the VMs used. Or if you built
> them yourself, then the sourcecode + compiler version + configuration
> parameters. Without these your measurements can't be reproduced.

Every System was the one available from their websites. (Got Pharo 1.2 from
Hudson about 3 days ago.)  However, VisualWorks is not available from its
website right now. I installed it from a Cincom CD-ROM I got on Smalltalks
2010 .

> - There are two different Cog VMs. You didn't specify which one did you use
> with Pharo.

Smalltalk vmVersion returns 'Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter
VMMaker-oscog.35]').

> - You used a CogVM (JIT) with Pharo but SqueakVM (interpreter) with Squeak
> 4.2. What's even worse is that you based your conclusion on this mistake.

Yes, it is true. Daniel Galdames also pointed this out last night on the
blog. But as I told before, it is just the benchmarks you get from the
"download the latest version available" approach. I couldn't find a
Cog-based Squeak on its ftp site, (perhaps I was too lazy). I won't have the
time to repeat this until next week, then I'll try this.

> - Does #tinyBenchmarks alone give fair performance comparison? Hardly.
>
> Well, it was the benchmark I knew of. Do you know a better performance
benchmark available? If so, I could retry the experiment.

--
Felipe Bañados Schwerter
Estudiante de Ingeniería Civil en Computación