[Pharo-project] A tinyBenchmark

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Fri Feb 11 00:07:45 CET 2011

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 10 Feb 2011, at 17:45, Felipe Ba?ados Schwerter wrote:
>
>> Every System was the one available from their websites. (Got Pharo 1.2 from Hudson about 3 days ago.)  However, VisualWorks is not available from its website right now. I installed it from a Cincom CD-ROM I got on Smalltalks 2010 .
>>
>> - There are two different Cog VMs. You didn't specify which one did you use with Pharo.
>>
>> Smalltalk vmVersion returns 'Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.35]').
>
> +1
>
> There does indeed not seem to be a very good way to get at the proper VM version (let alone build) from inside the Smalltalk image. It frustrates me too.

These methods should do it:
Smalltalk buildDate. 'Win32 built on Feb  6 2011 18:06:24 Compiler: 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)'.
Smalltalk isRunningCog. true.
Smalltalk isRunningCogit. true.
Smalltalk interpreterClass. 'CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.47 uuid: a4053f20-cb87-415d-aad3-3bb29b03724c Feb  6 2011'.
Smalltalk cogitClass. 'StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker-oscog.47 uuid: a4053f20-cb87-415d-aad3-3bb29b03724c Feb  6 2011'.

>> - You used a CogVM (JIT) with Pharo but SqueakVM (interpreter) with Squeak 4.2. What's even worse is that you based your conclusion on this mistake.
>>
>> Yes, it is true. Daniel Galdames also pointed this out last night on the blog. But as I told before, it is just the benchmarks you get from the "download the latest version available" approach. I couldn't find a Cog-based Squeak on its ftp site, (perhaps I was too lazy). I won't have the time to repeat this until next week, then I'll try this.
>
> Again, you are right: even though Squeak 4.2 is ready for Cog, there is (not yet) a simple one-click installer using it (as far as I can tell from a casual look). So your experience mirrors what some others might find.

There will be when it will be released. ;)

> Benchmarking is always fuzzy, you picked one that was available and has been there for years, so if it would be no good, somebody should have replaced it.

It's fine for benchmarking the VM. As the name suggests, it's not a system
wide benchmark, just a tiny one.

Levente