[Pharo-project] A new GUI visual designer

nullPointer epicfan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 11:35:33 CET 2011

My knowledge of Smalltalk/Squeak/Pharo is limited, but I believe somethings.

1- I believe Pharo/Squeak needs a different way for "render" the morphs. I
suppose Rome go to that direction.

2- A language, human readable, for define the UI. I believe than XAML or
XUL, based on XML, be good examples. And connect the UI to
Controller/Presenter/ViewModel of same way, through bindings, Commands etc
like WPF.

The code generated for designer of VW or Smalltalk/X don´t readable and
updatable for a human, only for the same designer mechanism. Don´t works of
example. It´s a OLD way, is a BAD way, is a shit way.

3- Implements a set of widgets. That is not difficult I believe. The main
problem is the way of connect that widgets with data. I repeat above,
bindings mechanism from WPF is a good-good example.
Perhaps exists some controls for build... numeric controls with formatable
values, datatime controls, grids (nobody needs a grid control on
Pharo/Smalltalk?? I´m unique? How I can create a enterprise app without
that?)

4- Implement the designer. BUT, that step don´t is needed if the language
for define the UI is a standard. Exists many designers of XAML and some for
XUL languages. Somebody could use that designers for build the UI, and add
the XML in a spec method on Smalltalk image. We need only a "reader" for
interpret the XAML code and build the morphic structure (or HTML render
structure)

My conseil is: if we need implement set of widgets and a language for design
UI is much more recommend base us in the new "way of do", don´t the old.

Regards.