[Pharo-project] A new GUI visual designer

nullPointer epicfan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:59:12 CET 2011

Create the UI with plain Smalltalk code have problems... my UIBuilder use
that system and have limitations for limit of lityerals in a spec method,
and other problems.

Another alternative is the VW or Smalltalk/X mechanism, no readable, no
updatable; only could be modified for the same designer routine.

XAML is a standard (or XUL). Allow define the UI, but too allow define
bindings, templates, commands etc for work with the
controller/presenter/viewmodel. For do the same in any language, with plain
code, you need much more code lines. A example with only a textbox and a
label don´t works. Try build a view with three grids, many fields, bindings,
events, tranmsformations, styles... and then compare the number of code
lines from a way and another. And compare too the readable result...!!!

And is possible create it with external designers; a Smalltalk designer is
not needed. Only a XAML reader-builder is needed, and a set of widgets for
work of that way.

Ahhhhh! I see the problem!!!. Now I see. It´s a Microsoft product, then
anyway is bad.

Los programadores de Smalltalk, somos cangrejos ermitaños. Estamos tan
acostumbrados a pensar que somos lo mejor y tenemos la mejor herramienta que
nos hemos quedado anquilosados. Estoy hasta las pelotas de esta mentalidad.
Lo digo en castellano porque no sé expresarlo en inglés.

Regards.