[Pharo-project] A new GUI visual designer

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Sat Feb 12 22:12:00 CET 2011

On Feb 12, 2011, at 6:22 PM, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Am 2011-02-12 um 09:54 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:
>> tobias
>>
>> if you want to think that I'm an asshole and I do not want to have a better UI, you are free to think that.
>
> Please rest assured that this is _not_ the case.

ok good

> I just was astonished that you denied the usability of
> the Gui builder with just few very general words.

No I just evaluate MY time and what I'm able to achieve

> However, if you want it in Pharo, thats the way to go.
> Think of Seaside on any non-Pharo. It is just the same.

Yes so this is why I said about my time.

>> Yes. Now the question is do we want that in addition to
>> 	- event,
>> 	- announcement
>> 	- changed
>>
>> We are working ***HARD*** to remove event and system changenotifier.
>> Design is not layering, it is about bringing the right infrastructure in place.
>> So if signals are important/good then they should be not in competition to other but either integrated into
>> or we should migrate the code to the other abstractions.
>
> Probably. However, cirticising initially other goals for not being
> Pharo’s isn’t fair, IMHO.

This is not what I did. I just evaluate:
	ok if I want that
	I need X, Z, K

so my message was ok guys do not dream we cannot just include the builder that you and me
would love to have. There is a lot of work to be done to arrive to that stage.

>>> Void?
>> The nikname of the personn
>
> He is called Marcel and posted elsewhere in the thread.

Ok this was nullPointer that I wanted to say. Not marcel because I know the first name of marcel.

>> Yes and this is why we do not want that.
>> Even for polymorph the goal is to merge everything and get one set of excellent widgets based on an excellent core.
>
> No Objection.
>

>> in pharo we use postcopy
>
> So does Squeak.

Ok good to know one less point to check.

> I doubt that there are _ assignments.

I do not know. Rob ask me how to load code without _

> No, I mean, What about _creating_ a PharoCompat
> package that matches your style of preferences.

Ah this would be good.

> Thats quite clear and I concur.
> The point is, you would have to do this with or without the builder.

yes except that I have to check the widgets and check that.

> Oh, and for this and my previous emails: No offence meant.

No problem

just a question: are the new widgets relying on signal?
Because I would have to really study signal to imagine what we can do?
Or are signal use to plug together widgets?