[Pharo-project] A new GUI visual designer

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Sat Feb 12 22:17:07 CET 2011

On Feb 12, 2011, at 6:59 PM, nullPointer wrote:

> Create the UI with plain Smalltalk code have problems... my UIBuilder use
> that system and have limitations for limit of lityerals in a spec method,
> and other problems.

No because one single array can contain all the specs.

They do that in VW since 1997 at least and it work well
	- you get a spec object tree
	- you can generate the widgets you want
			- morphic
			- html5

> Another alternative is the VW or Smalltalk/X mechanism, no readable,

This is exactly the same than xml except that you do not need an xml parser to get the objects

> no
> updatable;

???

> only could be modified for the same designer routine.

???

> XAML is a standard (or XUL). Allow define the UI, but too allow define
> bindings, templates, commands etc for work with the
> controller/presenter/viewmodel.

As I already said it multiple time, XML or UISpec are the same except that UISpec you get a
real tree with potentially sspecific nodes. All the rest you can do exactly the same than wiht XML
One day I will prove that to you.

> For do the same in any language, with plain
> code, you need much more code lines. A example with only a textbox and a
> label don´t works. Try build a view with three grids, many fields, bindings,
> events, tranmsformations, styles... and then compare the number of code
> lines from a way and another. And compare too the readable result...!!!
>
> And is possible create it with external designers; a Smalltalk designer is
> not needed. Only a XAML reader-builder is needed, and a set of widgets for
> work of that way.
>
> Ahhhhh! I see the problem!!!. Now I see. It´s a Microsoft product, then
> anyway is bad.

Not at all.
We do not need xml to represent UISpec!!!!!!!!
We can have plain objects and just call them UISpec. We can build a nice visitor on the spec tree
and do a lot of things with it.