[Pharo-project] A new GUI visual designer

Richard Durr richard.durr at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 13 17:56:04 CET 2011

Just a comment: :)

The Interface Builder of Nextstep and Mac OS X –  a closely
Smalltalk-related and inspired system – creates the objects making up the
user interface (it instantiates them) and then saves the state of everything
into a nib/xib file (binary/xml) using the general object-persistency
mechanism of Cocoa (NSKeyedArchiver). This file is then loaded when the
application in question starts, all the freeze-dried objects in the UI-file
are revived (awakened – not created) and then loaded into the object space
of the app.

This reminds me of the way, the Smalltalk Image works – except that the
image stores the whole application object space where the nib/xib only
stores the objects the interface is composed of. With Morphic there even
exists an easy way to compose an interface with using original objects
directly like or better than Interface Builder.

But instead of using the image as a storage mechanism for the instantiated
objects of a morphic-designed interface we are stuck with the textual
distribution mechanism and discussing how we can for example use xml to do
that.

That is ironic, I think ^^

--
Sent from my DynaBook.