[Pharo-project] Loading Seaside into Pharo 1.2 core

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Mon Feb 14 23:45:05 CET 2011

Hello Mike,

I am presently working on Seaside 3.0.4 which will correctly load into
Pharo1.2, but you should be aware that there a number of test failures
will remain and that (speaking unofficialy), Seaside3.0 isn't yet
supported on Pharo1.2...

To answer your general question you don't have to specify individual
packages by hand. The following load expression will load the 'default'
group for a project:

   (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project version: '3.0.3') load.

By _default_ the 'default' group is the all of the packages and project
references defined in a configuration. A developer may explicitly define
the packages/project refs that are included in the 'default' group. A
developer may also define groups that are specific to the project. A
common group name is 'Core'. The 'Core' group typically defines the
basic unit that the developers expect you to load.

To find out which groups are defined in a project, you can execute the
following expression:

   (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project version: '3.0.3') groups
      collect: [:each | each name ]

You can name a group in a load expression along with package names. Here
are the list of groups for Seaside 3.0:

   - 'Base'
   - 'Base Tests'
   - 'Development'
   - 'Development Tests'
   - 'Core'
   - 'Tests'
   - 'OneClick'

You will note that there aren't a lot of options for partitioning a
Seaside3.0 load:

   - 'Base' is the absolute minimum set of packages that should be
     loaded to get expected Seaside3.0 functionality
   - 'Development' adds in the Seaside30 development tools. It should be
     noted that it is recommended that the Seaside30 development tools
     be loaded in a production image, because the tools are considered
     essential
   - 'Core' includes "optional" packages like javascript support,
     adaptors, etc.
   - 'OneClick' is the subset of 'Core' that is shipped in the one-click
     image

It is recommended that you load the 'Core' group, if you want to exclude
the tests and load the 'default' group (i.e., everything) if you want to
include the tests.

Here's the list of packages in the 'Core' group:

   - 'Comet-Core' 'Seaside-Examples' 'Scriptaculous-Core'
     'Seaside-Tools-Core' 'Seaside-Tools-OmniBrowser' 'Seaside-HTML5'
     'Seaside-Environment' 'Seaside-Core' 'Seaside-Adaptors-Swazoo'
     'Seaside-Widgets' 'Seaside-Flow' 'Seaside-InternetExplorer'
     'Javascript-Core' 'JQuery-UI' 'Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche'
     'Seaside-Development' 'Seaside-Component' 'Seaside-Canvas'
     'RSS-Examples' 'RSS-Core' 'Scriptaculous-Components' 'JQuery-Core'
     'Seaside-FileSystem' 'Seaside-Session' 'Seaside-Email'
     'Seaside-Tools-Web' 'Comet-Examples' 'Seaside-RenderLoop'
     'Seaside-Welcome' 'Prototype-Core' 'Seaside-Swazoo' 'Seaside-Slime'

You must choose at least one adaptor (from the 'Core; group), so in
theory the absolute minimum loadable unit for Seaside30 would be:

   (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project version: '3.0.3')
     load: #('Base' 'Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche').

Note that there are no pre-defined components registered in this case,
so even if you manually start WAKom:

   WAKom startOn: 8080

the only page you can hit is the files page:

   http://localhost:8080/files

You could load the example packages:

  (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project version: '3.0.3')
     load: #('Seaside-Examples').

to have a few more pages to hit:

   http://localhost:8080/examples/examplebrowser

but without the familiar development tools you might not have an
enjoyable experience. You can add in the development tools with the
following expression:

  (ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project version: '3.0.3')
     load: #('Development').

Only then will you see the familiar Dispatcher page when you hit:

   http://localhost:8080/

At this point in time, the only things that you won't have loaded
(because of package dependencies) are:

   - Comet
   - Swazoo
   - RSS support
   - javascript support
   - HTML5 support
   - EMail
   - Welcome page

To add the remaining pieces you'd now have to list the individual
packages ...

Does this help?

Dale