[Pharo-project] [COTDC] 11 - ColorMappingCanvas

Henrik Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Tue Feb 15 12:12:36 CET 2011

On Feb 14, 2011, at 8:51 50PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 February 2011 18:45, laurent laffont <laurent.laffont at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Today:  ColorMappingCanvas
> >

> As far as i understood, this class is abstract, and its subclasses
> implement more specific behavior
> - shadow
> - semitransparency mapping
>

> The idea of is kind of canvas is to modify/filter the final output in
> rendering pipe..
> i.e., for each potential pixel operation like:
>
> source -> op -> output
>
> it introducing a color mapping stage:
>
> source -> op -> mapping -> output
>

> So, then for instance you could make a subclass which could turn all
> colors to be grayscale (disregarding that initial input was in
> colors).
>
> in fact i think this guy took wrong direction. It is much more
> effective to let the canvas to draw whatever it wants to some
> backup/temporary surface, and once it done, simply blit + color-map
> result to destination form using one, single strike.
>

> ah ah, it seems last COTDC are:
> - this class is bad written
> - this is not used
> - nobody understand
>
> still lot of work ;)
>
> Laurent

ShadowCanvas is used in the Glamour theme when fastDragForMorphic is disabled.

Cheers,
Henry

PS. You'll see a noticable increase in dragging performance (at least on non-Cog vms)if you change configureWindowBorderFor:  to return a non-translucent value.
This is because wantsToBeCachedByHand returns false when the morph isTranslucent.

I don't really think the restriction makes much sense, a canvas should have no problem drawing a cached image with translucency, but changing it probably includes revisiting how paint rules are chosen, which will be a huge pain for whoever does it.