[Pharo-project] Call for Pharo Support **important**

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Wed Feb 16 13:52:39 CET 2011

On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> The revised language is much improved.

tx

>  I too am curious about what you have in mind on the conditions.

We do not know. :) just fuzzy ideas.
We will decide with the community. Because the point is that this is not our stuff but a tool that should serve the community.
We were thinking
	- individual memberships
	- company memberships
	- institution memberships
or/and a moral license so that you can buy pharo and a guy like igor/esteban can get pay to improve the infrastructure.
or a bounty (but a moral license is good since it does not bind the task).

>  Are you looking for support from institutions or individuals?  I assume both, but the thresholds would be different for UF than for me by myself.

Yes both. This would be excellent.

Recently I was asking myself three essential questions beside having a market: ok we have a client so what
	- how do you control quality/process?
	- how do you control that your runtime engine is ok/safe/longlasting (else better take java vms there are plenty)
	- how do you reduce risk like truck factor in your community.

Our main point is how can we minimize risk: I'm thinking to participate to a startup around a pharo software  and here is a simple
simple scenario:  imagine that eliot gets hired by XXAS to do javascript/ruby whatever and andreas (which does not reply to my mails
because I'm probably too insignificant) goes waco and that ian only shows up every three years instead of every year.
do you think that it is wise for companies to invest in an open-source smalltalk?
I would not. Now if we have a consortium, a build process, a quality process and one or two guys payed by the community
to improve continously the system more than we can. Then this is a message I can understand as an investor.

Since we want to make sure that you all can do business we want to reduce risk and provide a good case for process, quality and the
rest.

Stef