[Pharo-project] Need your point of view on FSPath * and others

Damien Pollet damien.pollet at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 00:53:17 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 23:40, Stéphane Ducasse
<stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
> I would like to deprecated FSPath class>>* and use with: since this is the message

Yes but what about / both class and instance side?

> 2- Then I was wondering if it would not be good to have validating creation methods
>
> (FSPath * 'parent/child/') isRelative
>        true
> (FSPath * '/parent/child/') isAbsolute
>        false

I think those should raise exceptions in this case. FSPath is for
building paths step by step, so the argument should not contain
separators (or, it means you want a path with only one element with
separators in its name, which will probably cause problems with the
OS. But see below.

> I saw that there is
>        readFrom: aStream delimiter: aCharacter

And this one is called by FSFilesystem >> #pathFromString:
The problem here is that only the filesystem knows which separator
makes sense. FSPath alone does not know how to parse a string, which
explains why the above methods do not check: it's not their
responsibility. So probably FSPath should know for which kind of
filesystem it's meant, or there should be platform-specific subclasses
of it.

> (FSPath with: 'parent/child/') isRelative true
> (FSPath with: '/parent/child/') isRelative true
> (FSPath with: '') isRelative false

Same as above and what Max said, those always create relative paths
with one step named by the string you pass, unparsed. Now we can
discuss using the empty string as a convention for the root, or a
proper null object…

> Now what about defining root as
>
> root
>        ^ self with: '/'
>
> It would be more consistent. Now it breaks everything. So I did not do it :)

Not really consistent, because / is a separator. Using it as the name
for the first element of a path does not make sense. FSPath root /
'plop is not //plop :)

> May be I'm tired after 4 ours teaching

teaching bears, that's a concept :)

--