[Pharo-project] Alien + MacVM + plugin/primitive error

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 02:15:36 CET 2011

On 20 February 2011 22:44, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 11:41:51PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> P.S. i hope someday we could even run builds using OSProcessPlugin
>> directly from image by issuing:
>>
>> ABCDEblablaConfig  build
>>
>> :)
>>

> Hi Igor,
>
> Actually I used to do that exactly for my own unix builds (circa
> 2002 or so). I'm afraid that I have not kept it up to date, but
> you can see how it worked in CommandShell class:
>
> makeVmIn: buildDirectoryPathName
>        "Rebuild the virtual machine and plugins in the buildDirectoryPathName
>        directory. If the build is successful, save the image and restart using the
>        new VM. This assumes that the currently executing VM is either located in,
>        or linked to, the buildDirectoryPathName directory."
>
> I think it would be easy to do something similar for CMakerVMMaker builds.
> I'll be glad to help if you want to give it a try.

Fortunately cmake does things quite nicely. What i like about it, that
it allows to avoid dealing with shell scripting :)
But still, writing actions in normal language (anything except shell
syntax) is much more useful, because it is easy to understand what it
does.
I work on *nixes more than 10 years, and still i feel very bad when i
need to write some shell script or makefile.
Its is awful DSL with mix of shell commands and programs, each having
tons of arguments...

It is hard to write scripts, but it is even harder and time consuming
to understand what it does when written not by you.

It would be nice, for instance to tell image to generate and build
external plugin or other modules.
Yes, i'd like to have it written in smalltalk.. so we can control
every aspect of building VM.
But it means rewriting most of the parts what cmake does.. Sure thing
we might don't need too fancy functionality.. But still this is much
of work.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.