[Pharo-project] Cobol is the new language to know?

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon Feb 21 13:05:26 CET 2011

My favorite parts were:

“I have seen examples of developers on older technologies like RPG and Delphi charging twice the rate of a developer on a newer technology.“

Did it ever occur to them that some of these systems (e.g. Smalltalk) might actually be more productive and hence worth the boost in rate?  Most are just lean supply, but there is also the the power tool vs. hammer concept at work too.

"From the point of view of the companies and institutions, this is a problem. The longer they wait to modernise these systems, the more it is going to cost them when they do – for they will need experts in the old to explain what the heck the systems do to those attempting to modernise it."

Translation: programmers are too dumb to read anything they don't "know."  Give me well-written code in a language I've never seen over a mess in something I use every day.

Bill