[Pharo-project] Cobol is the new language to know?

Geert Claes geert.wl.claes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 13:28:51 CET 2011

Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> My favorite parts were:
>
> “I have seen examples of developers on older technologies like RPG and
> Delphi charging twice the rate of a developer on a newer technology.“
>
> Did it ever occur to them that some of these systems (e.g. Smalltalk)
> might actually be more productive and hence worth the boost in rate?  Most
> are just lean supply, but there is also the the power tool vs. hammer
> concept at work too.

I thought that bit was interesting too.  I used to be a Powerbuilder (which
Delphi and VB more or less copied) developer and moved away from it because
contracts (even back then) were too few and far between to sustain a
reasonable income, so they probably simply need to charge extra to cover for
the periods between contracts :)