[Pharo-project] SqueakSource down... again

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Mon Feb 21 17:39:55 CET 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 17:22 , Camillo Bruni wrote:

> how about a file based system and git?

yea, just discussed this very idea an hour ago...

The simplest thing that could work:
- Write out changes to files (for each method and class)
- Use git to commit, push, pull, merge, etc.
- After git actions, load changed files and compile

Advantage:
- can reuse good existing tools and infrastructure: git, github, etc.
- probably faster than MC + SqueakSource
- lower entry barrier for new people

Disadvantage:
- source control tools not integrated anymore
- resolving merge conflicts may be tedious
- we don't have our own solution for everything anymore ;)

Adrian