[Pharo-project] SqueakSource down... again

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 17:47:06 CET 2011

>> how about a file based system and git?

-1.

> yea, just discussed this very idea an hour ago...
>
> The simplest thing that could work:
> - Write out changes to files (for each method and class)
> - Use git to commit, push, pull, merge, etc.
> - After git actions, load changed files and compile

Doesn't seem simpler than what is already written and working...  Did
someone say it is a hardware issue (old Mac)?  Perhaps we should ask,
_why_ is Squeaksource going down before addressing solutions.

> Advantage:
> - can reuse good existing tools and infrastructure: git, github, etc.

SqueakSource is an existing tool.

> - probably faster than MC + SqueakSource

"Faster" for the computer to copy files, but slow and tedious for me to merge?

> - lower entry barrier for new people

SqueakSource is not the "barrier" keeping droves of people from Pharo is it?