[Pharo-project] SqueakSource down... again

Geert Claes geert.wl.claes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 08:57:46 CET 2011

Chris Muller-3 wrote:

>>> how about a file based system and git?
>
> -1.

Hang on, I think we may be missing the point here.  There is no need to all
agree or come to a consensus as someone else mentioned here.  I would like
to think that Pharo is open minded enough to accept other alternatives.
Alternatives are for everyones benefit because; e.g. if one repository goes
down, there will be one or more alternatives.

So, it should not be an either-or question.  Wouldn't it be great if
Smalltalk projects could be hosted on Squeaksource (new version will be
called SmalltalkSource I believe) and/or e.g Github etc?

So, if you have an idea or gut feeling, just go for it, let your creative
juices flow and innovate :)

Chris Muller-3 wrote:

>> - lower entry barrier for new people
> SqueakSource is not the "barrier" keeping droves of people from Pharo is
> it?

It may not be "the" barrier but it probably would help for new people to see
that at least they are already familiar with the version control system
before trying to grasp the whole image and build-in IDE concept :)