[Pharo-project] SqueakSource down... again

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Feb 22 12:18:21 CET 2011

On 02/22/2011 10:21 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> On 22 February 2011 08:21, Philippe Marschall
> <philippe.marschall at netcetera.ch>  wrote:

>>> yea, just discussed this very idea an hour ago...
>>>
>>> The simplest thing that could work:
>>> - Write out changes to files (for each method and class)
>>> - Use git to commit, push, pull, merge, etc.
>>> - After git actions, load changed files and compile
>>
>> Been there, done that. Was called DVS, the predecessor of Monticello. It
>> sucked.
>>

> Can you give some details?
> What were deliverables (if any)?
> What was gone wrong?

Yes, Avi wrote DVS first, and then MC after that. DVS was the first
attempt to bring the "CVS style"
update-with-automerge-fixconflicts-commit cycle to Squeak.

Now, Colin could probably describe this better - I don't think I ever
used DVS - but my guess would be that the hassle of doing the merge
outside of Squeak was the biggest drawback. You will either spend a LOT
of code to try to reflect the merge into Squeak - or you will end up
sitting in a text editor doing conflict resolution on a "line by line"
basis in your fileout format of choice.

I don't want to put a damper on any kind of SCM efforts being made, but
I do think that it is quite hard (not impossible, but hard) to gain real
benefits of using outside infrastructure like for example git.

regards, Göran