[Pharo-project] SqueakSource down... again

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Tue Feb 22 12:34:01 CET 2011

I think that Monticello as it is today is pretty good. I remember working in Smalltalk without something like Monticello and it was a PITA. My first experiences with Envy were that it was very complex, hard to use and hugely overpriced.

The fact that we all hate it so much when SqueakSource is down means one thing: we use it a lot and we've come to depend on it. That is a good thing.

Now as some others have said many times on this list: this is free open-source software, nothing or very little will change by complaining, you have to do something yourself.

Anyway, putting it on a newer Linux based server (shouldn't have to cost that much) and adding some of the standard tools to monitor the process and reboot it if necessary will probably already help a lot.

Sven