[Pharo-project] OpenCroquet Website

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tue Feb 22 13:29:00 CET 2011

I don't.  What I remembered reading was that project had shifted to some other name (Cobalt turns out to be it) and had left Smalltalk for Java.  Turns out, I wasn't just having a bad dream.  From the FAQ:

"Why not use Java for Open Cobalt?

When we first set out to build Open Cobalt's underlying Croquet architecture, we intended to do it in Java. However, we had to abandon that approach because Java lacked needed meta facilities.  Open Cobalt relies heavily on the Smalltalk meta system and accessible internals."

They appear to back full tilt on the Smalltalk front, using Squeak.  I prefer Pharo, but I can live with it :)

http://www.opencobalt.org/

Bill