[Pharo-project] I am I am I am ... [WAS] Re: [COTDC] 17 - MCSnapshotReader

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Thu Feb 24 12:25:54 CET 2011

Hi Mariano--

> I know the reasons and the history...

     Hm, I don't think I know the history. As far as I can tell,
Smalltalk-80 used "the receiver" instead of "I". When did the
anthropomorphic style arise?

> And it is even worst when you read it outside a system browser (like
> in a webpage or any kind of document).

     I don't think it's particularly worse if you still have the context
(which class you're talking about).

> Am I alone?

     No, I recall a couple of others who didn't like it either. In my
experience, though, the vast majority either don't care or like it at
least as much as you dislike it. :)  Personally, in a system so strongly
inspired by biological and verbal metaphors, I think it makes a great
deal of sense.

-C

--
Craig Latta