[Pharo-project] I am I am I am ...

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Feb 24 15:04:49 CET 2011

>>>>> "Craig" == Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> writes:

Craig> Hi Mariano--

>> I know the reasons and the history...

Craig>      Hm, I don't think I know the history. As far as I can tell,
Craig> Smalltalk-80 used "the receiver" instead of "I". When did the
Craig> anthropomorphic style arise?

As I recall, browsing the original ST80rel2 image at Tektronix in 1982
on a magnolia box (68k bitmapped 1024x768 display), I was amused by the
class comments that generally all started with "I am ...", or "Instances
of me hold ...". I think down in some of the technical parts, "the
receiver" was used because it wasn't "self" somehow.  But generally, the
original image is very "I am"-ish.