[Pharo-project] Is repository down for Magma?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 22:40:59 CET 2011

Hi, please copy me or the Magma list if you want me to see things
soonish.  I saw this by luck.

> Unfortunately for all us, Chris deleted without notice, the versions

Incidentally, notice was posted on the Magma mailing list:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2011-February/001728.html

You can find the new actual load-scripts clicking the link provided in
that message.

Also, nothing has been deleted from MagmaTester yet, so all of the old
packages are still there.  However, I want to clean that up pretty
soon too..

> from Magma repository that were used by the Metacello configuration to
> install Magma. So Magma isn't installable with Metacello anymore.
>
> Last weekend I started a ground up rewrite for ConfigurationOfMagma with
> support only for 1.2 (easier than fix the versions 1.1r43 1.1r44 that

Yes, don't worry about those old Magma versions.  I won't be
supporting them anymore either.

> could be installed with the configuration) but after creating
> ConfigurationOfMaBase, ConfigurationOfMaClientServer and the new
> ConfigurationOfMagma (everything loaded correctly) I got stuck by the
> fact that the new Magma 1.2 is Squeak specific at the moment (it uses
> WeakOrderedCollection that Chris pushed to Squeak trunk in december 2010
> and that is not in Pharo 1.1, nor in Pharo 1.2).

Incidentally,

   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2010-November/001612.html

To incorporate this into Pharo, see the changes in Squeak between:

    Collections-ul.403 and Collections-cmm.404.

The changes are very simple.  Basically, we simply allow the
OrderedCollection's internal 'array' to be specified by its
#arrayType, instead of being hard-coded to an Array.

This allows WeakOrderedCollection to exist by only one single method,
an override of #arrayType on the class-side to specify WeakArray.

I do hope Pharo will incorporate these changes and gain the benefit of
a weak OrderedCollection, not to mention, Magma...!  C'mon Pharo, the
total gain in code-size is just one Class with a single one-line
method, plus one extra one-line method on OC.

> So, I could to publish
> the new ConfigurationOfMagma to the metacello repository and you'll can
> install Magma but it won't run anymore.

True, WeakOrderedCollection is crucial for the new proxy bulk-become
performance improvement.

> (I have had time to check the
> WeakOrderedCollection issue only, I don't know if after fixing that
> other issues will remain because I haven't gone that far).

Me either, we have to get this addressed first.  Would someone in
Pharo help me lobby for this?

> The way I am going to fix this, at least for Pharo 1.1.1 and Pharo 1.2,
> is to put the changes that Magma needs in a separate package somewhere
> (maybe PharoInbox or PharoTaskForces) and use it as a dependency in
> ConfigurationOfMagma. This way it will work correctly. But I will do it
> until tomorrow night.

Ok.  I hope if we can get past WeakOrderedCollection there won't be
any more special changes needed, but we'll have to see.

Thanks Miguel!

 - Chris