[Pharo-project] Good reference on time on unit testing?

laurent laffont laurent.laffont at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 16:19:29 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <bschwab at anest.ufl.edu>wrote:

> Understood.  But, doing it correctly, how much of your time do you spend on
> the test writing/maintenance side?

None. Seriously none. I never pause and say "OK now it's time to write tests
and maintain existing ones". It's part of the TDD cycle: write a test, make
it green, refactor. write a test, make it green, refactor. The cycle can go
from 1mn to 10mn, rarely more.  And if you use the Pomodoro technique, you
feel it even better. Test writing/maintenance is part of programming.

Sometimes you can say "OK before implementing this new story, I would like
to refactor here and here (tests + code) because I don't like it". We also
do this stuff on legacy code when tests are not here. But it's far easier
 when we have good test coverage.

I found some blog posts, but I was hoping for some peer-reviewed papers that
> go on the record.
>
> I am trying to make the point you are making, and it will go over better if
> I can point to literature and some numbers that I suspect will be seen as
> sobering.  Tests ARE being "written after" in this case, but assuming they
> change to a proper process, they still need to understand that tests take
> thought and work.

When tests are written after, it's another kind of story. Then "how much
time we should spend writing test" is valid. I don't have any answer.

TDD is not easy. Learning to write good tests takes time (years),
investment. If someone in your team have good experience with it, he should
pair program continuously with other programmers.  Participating in
coding-dojo , code retreats with experienced developers is great too.

Laurent.