[Pharo-project] new Cog VMs uploaded

Philippe Marschall kustos at gmx.net
Sun May 1 13:38:57 CEST 2011

On 29.04.2011 19:03, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Philippe Marschall <kustos at gmx.net
> <mailto:kustos at gmx.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 27.04.2011 19 <tel:27.04.2011%2019>:23, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>     > Philippe,
>     >
>     >     can you please profile before and after?  This could very well
>     be to
>     > do with the additional cost of shallowCopy for contexts, but it is
>     > inevitable that a correct implementation is going to be more expensive
>     > than the simple block-copy.  The new implementation can be optimized,
>     > but we need to profile first to be sure we're tilting at the relevant
>     > windmill.
>

>     What kind of profiling do you have in mind, MessageTally?
>

> Yes, that would be fine.  Thanks!

OK, there you go. As you'll see the runtime is about the same, that's
because we do more iterations in the same time. Also note the time we're
spending in WriteStream >> #nextPutAll: with interestingly has a
different growing behavior than WriteStream >> #nextPut: (only 25% vs
100%). I already raised the issue once but people argued that the
current code is prefect.

Cheers
Philippe