[Pharo-project] Think about migration upfront! (was Re: squeaksource is down - a different perspective)

Miguel Cobá miguel.coba at gmail.com
Mon May 2 17:37:34 CEST 2011

Sometimes it is just enough to let the old versions in the old system
and start afresh in the new system with the last version of the project.

I think that the main reason for a project not being accepted is that
they lack enough traction and aren't end-user appealing.

Also, there can be a few hard core users of a system but the real
measure of impact is the number of new users they got. A bad (or good)
example, some years ago there was MySpace. It was the site all the
garage bands want to be in. It was the place for young people. Then
there comes Facebook and in just a couple years put MySpace to bite the
dust. There was a way to "migrate" your info (post, messages, pics) from
MySpace to Facebook? I (really) don't know, but I doubt that if they
existed they could make the migration faster that it was. The people
just went away to the new shiny, easier, more social and more appealing
that the old crap that MySpace pages were.

People sometimes doesn't care for the past. Just a good system (I am not
talking about facebook anymore, I don't use it) is enough to move a lot
of people from old system to new system.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz