[Pharo-project] new Cog VMs uploaded

Jimmie Houchin jlhouchin at gmail.com
Wed May 4 00:49:23 CEST 2011

On 5/3/2011 4:40 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

>     What approach do you suggest should I take?
>

> I have no idea.  You could try and break down the various activities
> and benchmark them separately I suppose.  You could look at the
> profiles you're already generating in higher resolution to see where
> the time is going.  You could also try and extract the SystemProfiler
> from OpenQwaq, which will run on Cog, and is better than MessageTally.
>  Andreas wrote it to get around some of MessageTally's limitations.
>  It should hopefully show primitives quite accurately.

Here is where the OpenQwaq GPL licensing gets tricky. I am not bashing
the GPL decision, I have already written in defense of it. But it does
make extracting code like this a little more challenging.

Does the author and/or Teleplace wish to provide an MIT license on the
extracted code? Otherwise it is hard or impossible (???) to use in Pharo
or Squeak.

I am hopeful that Teleplace will on an issue by issue basis allow such
extraction and re-licensing with appropriate credits. It would
definitely should good faith and citizenship in the broader Smalltalk
community.

Jimmie