[Pharo-project] new Cog VMs uploaded

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu May 5 02:33:34 CEST 2011

On 4 May 2011 23:39, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
> Hi chris
>

>> You should be able to extract the code and use it in Pharo/Squeak
>> without issue, even if it is GPL.  What you can't do is include it in
>> the distribution, since it isn't MIT.  You also shouldn't study the
>> code and write your own version of it - I believe that would be a
>> derivative work, which would likely make it a GPL derivative.
>
> so it does not exist and this is better because GPL is viral and we do not want it.

I finding it really funny that GPL were invented to help open-source
to rise and spread,
and now its just stands in your way, as any other closed-source
proprietary one...

>> However, if it was extracted, and you brought it in to do profiling,
>> and then removed it afterwards, that shouldn't be an issue at all.
>> Just remember to remove it after you no longer need it - that way the
>> GPL code won't accidentally creep into the Pharo/Squeak code-base.
>>
>> Basically, this would be a great example of a project that should be
>> an external project and not part of core (or dev).
>
> the problem is that this kind of philosophy goes against the spirit of smalltalk
> of been able to read and learn the code and modify it.

I think that Teleplace has not much choice under which license to
release this code,
because as long as you using even portion of GPL-ed code, you are
forced to use GPL as well.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.