Toon Verwaest toon.verwaest at gmail.com
Thu May 5 09:58:54 CEST 2011

Hi,

I can tell you that independent of how the industry might perceive the
language Smalltalk, learning Smalltalk will make you personally a better
software engineer. And this is what the industry does want. You will
look at programming from a new angle and this will give you an edge.

This is also true for learning other old languages like Scheme or Lisp.
As long as you stay within your Java / .NET bubble you will be one in a
billion. If you learn Smalltalk, the fact you know something that other
people might not makes you more special. The only negative part of
learning Smalltalk while working on other types of applications is that
you will eat your shoe 95% of the time hating that Java / .NET aren't
more evolved and flexible :)

As it seems that you are already working on a project revolving around
Smalltalk, be very happy that you are getting the opportunity to learn
it; you'll come out for the better.

Lastly, don't care too much about popularity within industry. If you
take the time to learn the systems for yourself you will probably learn
to understand the differences yourself. You are currently also part of
industry and obviously don't know Smalltalk well yet; how informed was
your decision to not know Smalltalk? You are part of "the industry"
making other people not choose Smalltalk based on your (non-)choice of
not using Smalltalk; if they would all think this way! Sheep won't
change anything :)

cheers,
Toon