Dave Mason dmason at mason-rose.ca
Thu May 5 17:46:25 CEST 2011

On May 5, 2011, at 11:32, Toon Verwaest wrote:

> This is totally unrelated to having an image; it's just a great debugger implementation. 2 completely different things. No reason why this wouldn't work for C; except for the fact that they didn't do it yet (those lazy bastards).

... and that it's an order of magnitude more difficult!

Yes, there are certainly other aspects of being image-based that are way cool, but iterative code development and debugging is a big part of it.

(I am teaching a Java course right now with BlueJ, which is a cool environment (at least if you're not used to an image-based system like Smalltalk).  It provides a little UML diagram of your classes, and you can create an object by clicking on the appropriate class, and inspect, and call methods.  Objects that you create appear on a "workbench".  So I had build up a little example with a few objects, found a bug, and edited the class, hit "compile" and *poof* empty workbench.  Yes, in Java they probably could have emulated the image, but it's a lot of work!)

../Dave