[Pharo-project] new Cog VMs uploaded

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:24:30 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 May 2011 23:39, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
> > Hi chris
> >

> >> You should be able to extract the code and use it in Pharo/Squeak
> >> without issue, even if it is GPL.  What you can't do is include it in
> >> the distribution, since it isn't MIT.  You also shouldn't study the
> >> code and write your own version of it - I believe that would be a
> >> derivative work, which would likely make it a GPL derivative.
> >
> > so it does not exist and this is better because GPL is viral and we do
> not want it.
> >

> I finding it really funny that GPL were invented to help open-source
> to rise and spread,
> and now its just stands in your way, as any other closed-source
> proprietary one...
>
> >> However, if it was extracted, and you brought it in to do profiling,
> >> and then removed it afterwards, that shouldn't be an issue at all.
> >> Just remember to remove it after you no longer need it - that way the
> >> GPL code won't accidentally creep into the Pharo/Squeak code-base.
> >>
> >> Basically, this would be a great example of a project that should be
> >> an external project and not part of core (or dev).
> >
> > the problem is that this kind of philosophy goes against the spirit of
> smalltalk
> > of been able to read and learn the code and modify it.
>

> I think that Teleplace has not much choice under which license to
> release this code,
> because as long as you using even portion of GPL-ed code, you are
> forced to use GPL as well.

You have it backwards.  There is *no* GPL code in OpenQwaq.  If there had
been the whole project would have had to become GPL and Teleplace could not
have protected itself against others using the code.  By releasing the code
as GPL Teleplace's investors retain the sole commercial rights to the code.
 No-one else can use the code without their contributions becoming GPL.
 Hence no-one wanting to do commercial development using OpenQwaq can do so
and protect their contributions.  Teleplace's investors, however, /can/
subsequently sell or exploit commercial rights to the code, which they still
hold.