Toon Verwaest toon.verwaest at gmail.com
Thu May 5 20:42:39 CEST 2011

> Yes, but it affects the way how you design your applications and frameworks.
> In image-based setup you tend to do things in a way, that things
> should be always available
> at any moment (wanna create an instance of me? - feel free to do it).
>
> In C and other languages which having compile&  run cycle it is
> totally different.
> Things are available for you not instantly, but only after you restart
> everything from scratch,
> reinitialize everything and then repeat exactly same steps to meet the
> same point as before.
> This is often tedious, time consuming and frustrating.
>
> And this difference in approaches leads to fatal flaws in design, like
> on Windows OS, which requires you to reboot machine every time you
> install new driver(s)
Ok, I do agree on that. It's probably not an intrinsic flaw of the
system, it just makes you think differently. However, suppose that C
would have a REPL which gives you an inspector... then you'd already be
more inclined to build systems like Smalltalk has. I don't say Smalltalk
and its philosophy isn't great, I'm just saying that the image isn't a
requirement. I'm sure that if someone would build a more flexible
version of C that people would get used to it and want nothing else...
even expect it.

But whatever :)