[Pharo-project] Making cr to autocomplete as well as tab (in Pharo 1.3)

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Fri May 6 10:06:02 CEST 2011

On 06 May 2011, at 04:59, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> As I stated in my reply I like the idea of using CR. But you do raise a valid point and demonstrate a valid situation.

When CR was in there before, it was absolutely irritating.
I had to put a space before hitting return just to prevent a completion. In my case, it always happened when typing the method header.

> My question is...
> Why isn't OCompletion offering the shortest options first?

OCompletion's ordering is based on your recent activity. See http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes/papers/ASE2008-completion.pdf
In my opinion, this works really great.

> If it did so, then your situation wouldn't occur.
> tree would be selected before treeLayout.

no, because the situation also occurs when you are typing a new message that does not exist yet.

If we want to improve completion, I think we should take a look at XCode's completion. It works *very* nice for completion of keyworded message syntax.

Johan