[Pharo-project] Nile tests red - Pharo 1.3

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Fri May 6 10:25:48 CEST 2011

On May 6, 2011, at 12:44 AM, Alain rastoul wrote:

> Nice vision. I want it now  :)
> I think smalltalk is the best choice for that - you know better than me of course
> However to make a living with it, it has to interface with other IT systems and standards, so that developers can make an sell a part of the system.

Yes

> Pharo has seaside-web on one end but may be  something is missing with relational databases. They are today the heart of business information systems (I have to try dbx and glorp , odbc is not usable because of locks)

Yes this is why we need a good FFI not locking.

> Side note, I often wondered myself why object databases didn't catch? Technical issues? Marketing?

I talked with somebody that was and is in the business and she told me that RDB nicely killed all the start up on the 80/90e around OODB. Now we should try to get pharo running on gemstone one of these days :).

> Btw, pharo has taken a good direction. Nice work. I'll try and see if I can help in this field (databases) which is one of my skill

Yes we are really interesting in that!