Stefan Marr pharo at stefan-marr.de
Fri May 6 12:57:05 CEST 2011

Sorry for the flam below. I didn't have the time and energy to rewrite it.

>>> Now for the documentation when did you send an help documentation for any part of the system?
>>> Or a bug fix?
>>> I find quite funny that people always talk but few are doing. We welcome comments/examples help.
No, I report things on the mailing list, and I complain here and there about the narrow-mindedness of Smalltalk-evangelists.
And when it comes to documentation, I document that RoarVM you might have heard of. If that is not interesting for you, sorry, we just don't share the same interests.

>> No need to get into a cat-fight here :)
>
> No this is not my point. But what do people really do to help?
Stef, if you haven't noticed: I don't care about Smalltalk, and I don't care about Pharo, or any other language out there in particular. I don't share your vision, I have other goals in life.

The only thing I do here is to point out the obvious (at least from my narrow-minded perspective).

> If this is just to spit out class comment on html I do not call that a documentation.
> Now we can take the book contents and generate html
> We have 350 pages in the first book and the same in the second one.
> People are free to join and write one or two chapters.

That's what I mean. From my perspective, books about programming languages are a wast of effort.
You need a good entry level book, that is all it takes.
The rest is great online documentation.

Unfortunately, Smalltalkers don't know anything outside the image...

I don't know how other people work, but I never look into books when I program. They just don't work.
They are slow, outdated and hard to search in.

Honestly, I don't understand why books are a priority for you when you want to develop a community.
You got a good entry level book, so what is the motivation to write another one?

As I said, that is obviously my point of view, based on the way my workflow works.

I prepare now Clojure assignments for my students, and there is also not a lot documentation out there, but all I need is centrally accessible at a place I easily identified with google.

There is exactly one important window on my screen:
http://clojure.github.com/clojure/clojure.core-api.html
Thanks to my browsers search, everything is there.
The Clojure book on my desk is just lying there and collecting dust...

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr