Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Fri May 6 13:56:03 CEST 2011

On 06 May 2011, at 12:57, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Unfortunately, Smalltalkers don't know anything outside the image...

Exactly, and most of the time, it's all you need.
I remark a funny difference between developing in Smalltalk and developing in any other language (say, Java, Javascript, Objective-C, ...):

When I program in Smalltalk, I have a lot of open code browsers in my image
When I program in Java/Javascript/..., I have a lot of open web pages on my desktop

That surely does not invalidate the need for more and better documentation. The documentation for Alien I saw 2 years ago was just sad. But when you compare FFI and Alien with the DLLCC of Visualworks, Stef is *definitely* right too. I started out building a layer for Alien some time ago (in the context of JavaConnect for Pharo) but I eventually had to stop... (making a living takes time too).

Johan